Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 30 min.
This flavorful Chicken Jambalaya dish can be made with sausage, pork, shrimp, oysters, turkey, or chicken. We revamped this classic recipe to include chicken for a lower-fat alternative.
|Nutritional Facts per Serving*|
|Total Calories: 523||Protein: 62g (248 cal)||Carbs: 44g (176 cal)||Fat: 44g (176 cal)|
*Values are approximate
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless 6 oz. chicken breasts, chopped into cubes
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 can (796mL) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (540mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat olive oil in large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Add chicken, thyme, oregano, chili, and cayenne, and continue to cook about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, peppers, hot sauce, tomatoes, kidney beans, rice, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove skillet from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley.